Sunday, March 23, 2014

Stuck!


I was recently interviewed, along with another poet, on an afternoon radio program.  It was an interesting experience that I would love to repeat someday, hopefully when I learn how to be less verbally “stuck.”   The closing question that the host posed to us was, “What do you do when you get writer’s block?”  I had to admit that I rarely encounter that problem, and in fact, the only time I could remember struggling with it, I wrote a poem about it!  It was a humorous note on which to end the interview, but as I’ve been reflecting on the entire experience I realize that I do much more often feel like I have “speaker’s block.” 

I’ve listened to the download of the interview several times and am struck by the absolute poise and the beautiful, rich speaking voice of Darice, the other interviewee.  But then, I have always been one who wants to do well, speak well, pray well, and present myself well.  And when in a situation like I was in this week, it is only natural to notice that, in my estimation, the other person seemed to do a much better job of it than I did. 

I did not completely or even partially ruin my part of this interview, although I did misquote a scripture and stumble a bit as I was trying to explain its significance in my life.  It is the nature of radio to move quickly, and my thought processes do not tend to do that well.  As soon as we answered one of the host’s questions he was ready to move on, while my mind was still mulling over what else I could say to expound on what he had already asked. 

I am a “muller.”  I suppose that is why I don’t feel like I regularly have to deal with writer’s block.  If I sit down to write something specific and nothing is ready to come out on paper, I move on to something different.  That is the benefit of having a variety of projects happening at the same time.  I realize that whatever has caused me to pause just needs a little bit more time floating around in my heart and mind before it is ready to be transformed into something tangible.

It’s not that easy to do that with the spoken word.  When you are in conversation with someone or before a group of people or are called on to answer a question posed to you, you don’t have the luxury of “word-smithing” your answer.  That is why it is important to have your eyes fixed on Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our Faith (and perhaps our sentences if we let Him).  If He is ever present in our lives than He will be right there to help when we need to explain or defend or simply share what is on our hearts to share.

But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. 
1 Peter 3:15   

The Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things, and bring to your  remembrance all things that I said to you.  Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.  John 14:26-27

I thank the Lord for His gifts in my life, and for the desire to use them for His glory.  Here is the short poem I wrote years ago when I was struggling with writer’s block.  Jesus, please help us all to be able to give an accounting of the reason for our hope whenever we are asked, and may our words lead others to the foot of the cross.

Stuck

Dozens of thoughts going round in my head
Awaiting the moment when they will be said.
Blank piece of paper so glaringly white
Wants to be filled with whatever I write.
Ink from my pen wants to freely flow,
But try as I might, there is nothing to show.
How I long for the key that will help me unlock
This dreadful cage known as writers’ block.

© Liz Kimmel

No comments:

Post a Comment