Friday, March 7, 2014

A Purpose and a Plan

Welcome to my new blog!  I had a blog several years ago but wasn't very faithful to contribute to it, and no one really even knew that I had it.  Truth be told - I wasn't really sure what the purpose of a blog was back then!  Now I follow several GREAT blogs, and am not sure that I can live up the the standards that they have set.  But here we are, on the verge of the precipice known as "Beginning to Write a Blog."  

Most of what you will find in this space will be poetry or prose.  That is the genre that is most familiar to me.  I am presently working on a news article for a contest through the Minnesota Christian Writers' Guild, of which I am a current member.  News articles are not my forte.  But it is always good to stretch the comfort zone.  

So here is my purpose - I am going to try to stretch.  One of the recent presenters at the MCWG told us that her goal (she is an artist in addition to being a writer) is to draw something every day, no matter how small. I don't think I can commit to that.  But I will try to post something several times (or a LEAST one time) a week.  That will keep me writing and keep me accountable.  

My plan for this space is that it will be a welcoming space - where you feel encouraged and blessed, and perhaps even challenged.  I intend to share with you things that I have discovered as I've studied the scripture or listened to a teaching, or just spent time with the Lord in my quiet time. 

I write Christian poetry, but I also write educational poetry - so sometime in the near future you might see something that will challenge you grammatically.  We all need a little brushing up on our English skills, right?!


To close my first post I would like to share my most recent poem, written just last weekend and released in our church bi-monthly publication.  It was written to coincide with the overall theme of this month's publication - Apostello (which is the Greek word for Sent).  


Here Am I, Send Me

To be called, to be chosen, and sent implies
There is One who is doing the sending . . .
One whose purposes may likely reflect
His love for His people unending;
One uniquely able to accomplish all
The good that His heart is intending,
But chooses, instead, to recruit our gifts
That He is so beautifully blending.

Samuel was sent as a very small child
To be raised in the House of the Lord.
As parents today consider this act
It strikes a resounding chord.
We’re never too young and never too old
To be called to come on board
And join our lives with the plans of God
To see His love through us outpoured.

David was sent as a teenage boy
To face down a giant dare.
But God had equipped him to overcome
By defeating the lion and bear.
We may feel anxious at things that appear
As if they would try to ensnare.
But know that no matter the calling you have,
God’s always as close as a prayer.

Caleb and Joshua went with a group
That was told to spy out the land.
They were the only two brave enough 
To say “We should make our stand!”
Sometimes we are sent to walk alone
And not give in to demand.
But know that you always – wherever you go –
Can walk with the Lord, hand-in-hand.

Mary was sent on a journey
That made others question her word.
Her neighbors and friends may have doubted;
She was certain of what she had heard.
At times when God leads us it may appear
To the world to be quite absurd.
If you’re confident in His direction
Don’t let your heart be deterred.

Ananias was sent by God
To meet Saul on his darkest of days.
He set aside his fears and went
To teach him about God’s ways.
We may be sent to places where
The darkness far outweighs
Our life familiar – never fear –
His light in you will blaze!

© Liz Kimmel

No comments:

Post a Comment